How To Make A Double Chocolate Beetroot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing & Beetroot Crisps
This cake is absolutely delicious and something a little bit different! Lovely and moist with crunchy beetroot chips and creamy icing – great treat for your next event.
- 500g beetroot – about 3 medium
- 100g melted 70% dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 150 ml The Good Oil Sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup (150g) flour
- ½ cup (50g) Dutch cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 50g chopped dark chocolate, to add in to the batter (optional)
Ingredients (Beetroot Crisps)
- 1 beetroot
- 1 tsp The Good Oil Sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g butter, softened
- 50g brown sugar
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- Extra chopped chocolate (about 25g)
- Beetroot crisps
- Beetroot powder (optional – we used the Fresh As brand)
- Place the beetroot in a small oven proof dish with a splash of water, and cover with foil. Roast the beetroot at 160°C for 45 – 60 minutes or until tender. Cool the beetroot until you can handle it, and rub off the skin. Then grate with a box grater or food processor. A good idea is to cook the beetroot the night before, while the oven is already on for dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan bake. Place a small heatproof bowl over simmering water, and melt the chocolate. Set aside until ready to use.
- Using a hand held or stand mixer whisk the eggs and sugar together for 3 – 5 minutes, or until thick. Slowly pour in the oil and mix to combine.
- Add in the grated beetroot, salt and then sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix gently to combine, then fold in the melted chocolate to finish. Add in chopped dark chocolate if using.
- Pour batter evenly into 2 x 20cm greased and lined cake tins. Bake at 160°C for 25 – 30 minutes, or until the cake is cooked and springs back when touched. Remove from the oven and ice when cold. Alternatively you can bake the cake in one 20cm cake tin for 50 – 60 minutes.
Method (Beetroot Crisps)
- Wash the beetroot and finely slice on a mandolin or with a knife, and place in a bowl. Toss with the oil and salt, and leave for 10 minutes to draw out excess moisture from the beetroot. Line an oven tray with baking paper, and arrange the beetroot slices in a single layer. Bake for about 45 minutes at 135°C until crisp. Remove from the oven to cool, and they will harden once cold. Keep in an airtight container until ready to use.
Method (Icing & Garnish)
- With a beater beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Slowly add in chunks of the cream cheese. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread half the icing on one cake and then top with the second cake. Spread the rest of the icing on the top, and garnish with chopped dark chocolate, beetroot crisps and beetroot powder.
Share this recipe
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Recieve monthly updates on new recipes, promotions and prizes.
You can unsubscribe anytime.