How To Make Kumara Bacon & Red Lentil Soup with Celery Leaf Pistou
With everything that’s been happening recently and the cold weather approaching, a nice & warm kumara soup with hearty bacon is one way to warm up this winter.
- 3 T The Good Oil Rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 150 g smokey bacon, chopped
- 750 g kumara, peeled & diced
- 1.5 – 2 L water – you can always add more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 – 4 sprigs thyme
- Black pepper
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed & drained
- 100 g extra smokey bacon, chopped – optional
Ingredients (Celery Leaf and Lemon Pistou)
½ cup packed celery leaves
½ cup packed parsley leaves
3 cloves garlic, finely grated
1 lemon, zested
2 T lemon juice
Salt & pepper
½ cup The Good Oil Rapeseed oil
- You can either finely chop the onion, garlic, celery and garlic or grate everything with a food processor.
- In a large saucepan over a low heat start by sweating off the chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and bacon with the rapeseed oil. Take your time, you want the vegetables nice and soft.
- When the vegetables are soft, add remaining ingredients, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Simmer on a medium heat for about 40 minutes. Sometimes it is nice to remove 1 – 2 cups of the soup and puree until smooth. then add back to the soup for a nice texture.
- Fry off the extra bacon in a fry pan with a little oil until crispy. Remove from the heat and drain the bacon on paper towels. Serve the soup hot with a garnish of crispy bacon and the Celery Leaf and Lemon Pistou, for a fresh and a garlicy pop.
Method (Celery Leaf and Lemon Pistou)
- Finely chop the celery leaves with the parsley and garlic. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste. Alternatively, you can also add all the ingredients except the oil to a small blender and blend until smooth, then slowly pour in the oil with the motor running. It will be a nice bright green sauce.
Share this recipe
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Recieve monthly updates on new recipes, promotions and prizes.
You can unsubscribe anytime.